Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Taking One For The Girls!

Just a short, quickie post. UCONN girls basketball team made history today by becoming the first college b-ball team to win 89 consecutive games. If that isn't impressive I don't know what is.

I've always been a supporter of the UCONN team because my great aunt was once asked to play for them but unfortunately she turned them down since it was considered unladylike for her to play (this was in the 30's/40's). This is a shame however she still continued to root for the school's basketball team. So when it came time for me to choose a school to support it only seemed natural to carry on my great aunts love.

Anyways, back to the matter at hand.... this team was able to make history! I love that it was a girls team too. I mean we can't let the boys have all the fun can we? I have a feeling people will be talking about this game and historic moment for years to come (and eventually a movie will be made based off of the event... paging Disney as we speak! lol). This is a huge moment not only in basketball but in women's athletics in general. Maybe now people will take women's sports more seriously and their won't be anymore talk about women being inferior in athletics. Since clearly as the UCONN team proved, that is a complete and utter lie. Women are just as good as men and sometimes even better, they did break a men's basketball teams record after all. So what are your thoughts about this game? This moment in sports history?
Jem

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a big basketball fan, but that's pretty incredible!

    ReplyDelete