Friday, May 1, 2009

Lost In Austen


"Vanity and pride are different things, though the words are often used synonymously.... Pride relates more to our opinion of ourselves, vanity to what we would have others think of us."
(I love this quote!)
~Pride and Prejudice~
Tonight I settled down on my couch for a nice night in of watching a dvd, with a blanket and a bowl of pasta in order to watch the movie which I had netflixed. I ordered the ITV production of Lost In Austen which originally aired in England. I had herd various things about this mini series and so being a fan of Jane Austen I felt it my duty to check out what all the hubbub was about. At first I was a little skeptical about this version of Pride and Prejudice seeing as the protagonist was not Elizabeth Bennet, but Amanda Price, and modern girl from London. Amanda and Elizabeth sort of switch places, Amanda ends up in the pages of her favorite novel and Lizzy in the "real" world. Since Amanda knows what happens in the novel she tries to get everyone to end up with the right person but the story does not exactly follow the original plot. The series stars Jemima Rooper as Amanda and Elliot Cowan as the famed and much beloved Mr. Darcy. One of my favorite scenes in the mini series was when Amanda asked Mr. Darcy if he would go in the fountain, just like Colin Firth did in the BBC version of the novel! I thought their was something just so sweet and funny about that whole scene (as you can see I included a picture from the scene for your viewing pleasure). I was pleasantly surprised how much I liked the show, seeing as the plot differed in many ways then the novel. So if you get the chance I would definitely recommend watching Lost In Austen... If only just to see the good looking Elliot Cowan play Mr. Darcy!
Jem

No comments:

Post a Comment