Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Life Of An Artist

weheartit.com
Sometimes I wish I was painter. I would be like my favourite Impressionist painters; Monet, Renoir, Cassatt, and Van Gogh (though perhaps without the sad lives which many of them seemed to have lived). I would spend my life painting; only resting to read a good book, have intellectual conversations, eat, and sleep. It only seems fair, for the sake of this dream, that I would live in a garret in Paris. The garret would be close to the Eiffel Tower, so I would be able to see it from my window. This garret would be filled to the brim with interesting nic-nacks and books.
Alas, Alas I am not a painter, nor do I live in Paris. Even if I am not a painter I still can appricate all the beauty which art offers us. I have always been a ferverant supporter of the arts, for where would we be without these great artists who challenged the norm? I think my love for the arts came from my parents. A lot of people think you shouldn't take children to museums because they will not appriciate the art, my parents thought the opposite. They believed it was important to expose my sister and I to art, in all of its forms, at a early age. We went to museums all the time when we were little; my mom's philosophy was to take us to these places and then follow us around where ever we wanted to go, until we got tired. This philosophy seems to work quite well I think, people ought to try it more with their children. Another reason why I am so interested in art is because of my eighth grade advanced art teacher, Mrs. T. Mrs. T really knew not only about art but history, science, different cultures, and life. She believed that in order to truly understand art you had to understand the history, science, and culture of the time during which the peice was made. For without one another you could not have art. This is a philosophy which I have continued to carry for the rest of my life, and in all aspects of my life. So I may not be a painter but that is okay, at least I can enjoy the beauty and hard work which goes into making a peice of art.
Jem

1 comment:

  1. I love art, but I could never be an artist like THAT. I have no drawing or painting skills, and I think that's one of the things that makes me really appreciate wonderful art so much more.

    ReplyDelete