Thursday, October 29, 2009

International Relations

International magazines. I love reading or looking at the pictures of magazines from other countries. It fascinates me how globally diverse and stylish people are from different corners of the world. I've been lucky enough to score a few issues of British mags like Vogue, Talter, Glamour, and Lula. Mostly of those I bought myself when I was in England, my aunt and I stocked up on magazines when we had two hours to kill before our train departed bound for London. Though a few my auntie gifted to me after she was done reading them after long flights to visit us. When I was coming back from Italy we were on Lufthansa airline so all the magazines they had on board were German. Their was a copy of German Glamour which I read, more like tried to decipher, for much of the flight. Although I've never taken German in school I could figure out what some on the content was. Besides, when I got tired of trying to read a language I couldn't even understand I would just look at the pretty pictures. When we were in San Fransisco this summer we went to that amazing magazine shop I told you about in a previous post. They stocked magazines from all across the globe; from India, Italy, to the Netherlands, and elsewhere. I thought I was in heaven, I could have spent all day in the shop, too bad my mom and sister dragged me away for dinner. I think I might have a slight obsession with magazines, the last time I counted I have over 200 issues! Holy Crap that's a lot! Now before you go thinking I have some sort of problem let me state I've been collecting them since the days I read the now disbanded Teen People (which was ages ago). I love to look back at pass issues and seek inspiration. I try to read every magazine I can get my hands on, whether it be Fashion, Political, or Oprah (yes, I'm seventeen and I read Oprah. Its my moms, I tend to steal it from her after she's read it). By doing so I hope I will become more educated on the world of magazine journalism, after all that is what I want to eventually do with my life! I have a Confession: I make notes on post its and place them on the pages of magazines so I can go back and see what I liked or didn't like about an editorial, photograph, or layout. That might just sound a tad odd, but I love making notes to better prepare myself! What can I say, I'm an over achiever!
Jem

1 comment: